For organizations of a large scale – generally referred to as “enterprise” level companies – integrating and optimizing your file conversion process can be an excellent way to improve efficiency within your company or institution.
This newly-found efficiency can manifest itself in a number of ways:
- Replacing several pieces of conversion software with one integrated conversion solution.
- Greatly reduced time spent manually converting documents.
- A more efficient workflow by having your team members collaborate on digital documentation rather than paper copies of documents.
- The acceleration of processing time, via the reduction of time spent before documents are available in their proper formats.
- Reduced costs relating to paper purchasing, printing, distribution, and associated costs.
For these reasons and more, selecting and integrating a document conversion solution for your enterprise organization is a task that can ultimately free up resources from the top on down.
File Conversion Options:
File conversion solutions can be broken down into two main types:
- On-demand file conversion: Files are converted as needed. Output settings can be manually selected each time, or pulled from saved settings.
- Automated file conversion: Files are automatically converted on an ongoing basis.
Additionally, some enterprise-level organizations may benefit from batch file conversion, which is the process of converting many documents at the same time, rather than individually converting one at a time.
What is Batch File Conversion?
For some organizations, on-demand file conversion is done on an as-needed basis. And for many organizations in the corporate world, that works quite well (in fact, we’ll discuss more about your on-demand options later in this post).
But for many larger-scale organizations, or companies who require consistent and regular file conversion, batch file conversion is an appealing option.
Batch file conversion is essentially the act of converting many documents at the same time. Generally these will be converted using pre-specified settings, but they can also be adjusted or specifically tailored on an ongoing basis.
PEERNET’s Document Conversion Service is an industry-leading Batch File Conversion tool that is ideally suited to the needs of enterprise organizations.
The Benefits of Batch Conversion with Document Conversion Service:
- Document Conversion Service is designed from the ground up for high-volume document conversion. For companies with a regular need for file conversion, this can provide exceptional cost savings over time.
- Beyond the directly-attributable cost savings, batch document conversion saves your organization significant time. By converting many files at once, that frees up time for other work than can directly contribute to the goals of your company.
- File conversion can be truly automated: run conversions 24/7 in the background, allowing documents to be converted without constant attention from an employee or a member of your IT staff.
- Conversion settings can be set once and used across multiple conversions, saving you time and worry.
- The quality of your converted document is guaranteed to be the quality that you specify.
- For more advanced users and IT departments, the software can be operated from the command line, again, to save your organization significant time.
- Settings can be tailored through the application configuration file to control all aspects of the conversion process.
- New for Document Conversion Service 3.0: DCS now supports conversions to vector PDF. This allows for searchable PDF documents, converted from a wide spectrum of different file formats.
- Document Conversion Service offers workflow integration via the PEERNET.ConvertUtility .NET utility library (callable from any language; C++, C#, VB, PowerShell, and others).
- DCS does not rely on the system default printer, allowing for true parallel processing of documents.
- It also gives you the capability to control which file converters are running at any time, freeing up resources, memory and processing power to devote to your main conversion tasks.
- Document Conversion Service is built as a true Windows service, and does not require a signed-in user to operate. Conversion processes are monitored as a service, so they’re automatically restarted to minimize downtime.
- It offers support for Outside-in ActiveX Control from Oracle ®, adding the ability to convert into 500 more formats as needed.
- DCS gives organizations the ability to convert text-based reports from older mainframe applications into a versatile, modern format such as PDF or TIFF.
- It can easily create faxable TIFF files.
- You’re able to set up a watch folder service to monitor multiple folders.
- The operator can consolidate disparate information by automatically combining multiple files into a single file, such as a PDF.
Document Conversion Service is highly-specialized, and tailored to the needs of enterprise level organization. It offers seamless workflow integration, and meshes well with any existing content management and file organization processes in place. Take a look at some more of the features that make DCS the most robust enterprise file conversion service on the market today. Here’s a short video on what i can do for you.
What Sort of Organizations Require Automated Batch Document Conversion?
A number of different industries have a need for automated batch conversion of their documents and files. These could include, among others:
- Medical profession – clinics, hospitals, offices;
- Legal profession – law offices;
- Municipalities and government organizations;
- Banking and financial services;
- Insurance organizations – agencies and brokerages;
- National and multinational corporations;
- And a wide variety of others.
One benefit of converting files into one particular format is that it standardizes your company’s record keeping. It also keeps the ultimate viewer of the document, internally, from maintaining multiple pieces of software, or opening up those various programs each time that they need to view a document. But changing files into widely-used and supported formats — such as PDF and TIFF, for example – also offers you the ability to easily share documents outside of the organization as well. So as an example, if there is an invoice generated by some other enterprise platform that you need to share with a client, conversion through Document Conversion Service makes this readily option readily available.
What Files Types are Supported for Batch Conversion?
Document Conversion Service supports a wide range of files for batch document conversion and automated file conversion applications. Among the most common:
- PDF files
- Excel files: .xlsx, .xls, .xlsm and more
- Image files: JPEG (JPG), TIF (TIFF), BMP, PNG, GIF, and more.
- Web pages: HTML files, secure HTML files
- Powerpoint Files, shows and templates: .ppt, .pptm, .pptx.
- Word Files and word processing files: .docx, .doc, .txt., and many more.
And here are a few more specialized file types that you may find Document Conversion Service useful for in your industry:
- Design Review Drawings (*.dwg)
- AutoCAD drawings (.dwg).
- Postscript files (*.ps)
- Publisher files (*.pub)
- And many more. Please see our Supported Conversions page for a full list of supported filetypes that can be converted with Document Conversion Service.
- We are adding support for new formats all the time, so please reach out and contact us if you require support for a format that you don’t see listed.
On-Demand File Conversion for Enterprise Organizations
Perhaps your enterprise-level organization requires regular file conversions but not to the point of needing an automating solution. There are a number of different directions and software solutions you can look towards to fulfill your requirements if this is the case.
Although the software is primarily built and targeted towards individual end-users, File Conversion Center offers on-demand, desktop file conversion that could serve as an intermediate option for some enterprise-level organizations that require regular file conversion, across multiple formats, but don’t quite need an automated batch processing solution.
Here are the basic features of File Conversion Center:
- Converts from formats including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.); PDF; HTML and PostScript.
- Converts to formats PDF, TIFF and JPEG.
- Makes use of drag-and-drop file conversion – drop a file in a given folder, and the converted file is outputted automatically based on previous settings, or settings that you specify.
- Offers you the flexibility to either convert one file at a time, or convert multiple files at the same time.
- Offers a wide range of conversion settings to tailor the outputted document for what you’re looking for. Options include basic selections such as file type and output location, and more advanced file customization options – for example, resolution, multi-page file creation, auto-rotation – and a range of different options.
File Conversion Center offers the option to run scheduled tasks, so there is the opportunity, for example, to leave it running its conversion processes before heading home for the evening, and then have the converted files ready for you the next day.
Single-Purpose File Conversion Tools
Some enterprise-level companies, businesses and organizations may only require the use of software that is built specifically to convert to one file format. Although these options do not offer batch file conversion functionality, they are excellent solutions for individual end-users to convert files as needed. If your organization requires regular use of the PDF format, for example, then PDF Image Printer, which converts to high-quality, non-searchable PDF format, might be a great fit. Likewise, if you keep records in TIFF format, our TIFF Image Printer makes TIFF conversion fast and effortless (one of the most common uses of the software is to convert PDF to TIFF.) As well, if you make use of both formats, then you may want to consider Raster Image Printer, which allows for quick document conversion into TIFF, JPEG, PDF, GIF, PNG format and an array of others.
Enterprise File Conversion: Get the Full Scope of Options
For more information on the product options available to your enterprise organization, check out our full product line of file conversion software. If you need more information on which product might be right for your company, please take a couple of minutes to watch the video below:
Or, if you have any further inquiries or questions about file conversion for your enterprise organization, feel free to reach out and contact us. We’ll be happy to point you in the right direction.